October 2023 Meeting: Hardangersøm

Attached are the slides from today’s program presentation and other related resources.
Sons of Norway Hardanger Embroidery Pin Program (Unit-8-Embroidery-2023.pdf) (1.7 MB)
Seven Stitches Instructions.pdf (2.2 MB)
Seven Stitches Pattern.pdf (501.2 KB)
Hardanger Embroidery Presentation.pdf (3.9 MB)

Some tips:

• Only use about 1.5-2 feet of thread on your needle because it will degrade a bit each time you thread it through the fabric; the longer the thread the more times you’ll do that.
  • Keep the extra thread through the eye of the needle to just a couple inches; just enough so it doesn’t slip off easily but not so much you are working with “two threads” as you create your stitch.
  • Guidelines should go over 4 threads, under 4 threads starting 2 threads from the center so that the two guidelines will cross and form a plus on the back of the fabric. (One way to tell the back of your fabric.)
  • When you start a stitch thread the tail of the thread into the fabric and then up at your stitch’s entry point such that you will trap the tail of thread in your stitch and can then trim the excess when done.
  • When you run short on thread complete a stitch and then feed it through the back of a kloster block, around a thread, and then back through the back of the kloster block, and then trim the excess.

Thanks Nathan. Can you provide what is needed to complete for a pin. I didn’t have any way of writing that down on Sunday. Thanks for sharing this cultural skill with us. I really enjoyed it.

Details are in the links in my original post above; specifically, the first link.

• Activity 1: Learn seven stitches/techniques:
    1. Kloster block/Satin stitch
    2. Buttonhole/Blanket edge stitch
    3. Eyelets
    4. Cutting and thread removal
    5. Cable stitch/Faggot stitch
    6. Weaving bars
    7. Dove’s eye
  • Activity 2
    • Demonstrate the prior Hardanger stitches/techniques in two sample items.
  • Activity 3 (Pick One)
    • Research some aspect of Hardanger embroidery.
    • Participate in a Hardanger class or crafts club in your lodge or community.
    • Create a sampler of stitches.
    • Create your own piece of Hardanger embroidery.
    • Share what you have learned.
    • Form a crafts club in your lodge or community.
    • Establish a Hardanger embroidery class or group in your lodge or community.
    • Set up a Help Night in your lodge or community.

Thanks for the very helpful information!

Nancy Schick

After working with this 22-count Aida cloth I feel like it is a bit too coarse of a grid to look right. Perhaps, it’s the combination of thread size and cloth. Just keep in mind that if you feel like your work doesn’t look right it may be more the “medium” we’re using than your technique.